Hampton, in Windham County, is located in the northeast, or Quiet Corner, of Connecticut. Territory of the Nipmucks (a local Native American tribe), the area was settled in 1712, largely from people of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Called variously Canada Parish, Kennedy, and Windham Village, the town was incorporated in 1786 from parts of Brooklyn, Canterbury, Mansfield, Pomfret, and Windham. In 1872, the New York & New England Railroad brought tourism to this agricultural community, turning Hampton into a summer colony. Hampton’s central village was preserved in 1982 when Hampton Hill, along Main Street, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
John Brewster Jr. was one of the preeminent portrait artists... …[more]
“The Last Green Valley,” 2017. Link.
“Hampton Antiquarian and Historical Society,” 2016. Link.
Department of Energy & Environmental Protection. “James. L. Goodwin State Forest,” 2012. Link.
Connecticut Audubon Society. “The Edwin Way Teale Memorial Sanctuary,” 2016. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “Hampton - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2016. Link.
“Hampton Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
Woodford, E. M. “Map of Windham County, Connecticut.” Philadelphia, PA: E.M. Woodford, 1856. University of Connecticut Libraries, Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC, Yale University Library, Map Collection. Link.
Lee, Stephen. “Windham County, Conn., Business Directory Containing the Names, Business and Location of All the Business Men in the County, Agricultural, Manufacturing, and Other Statistics, with a History of Each Town.” Windham County Transcript Office, 1861. Link.
Trecker, Janice. Discovering Hampton: A Connecticut Town. Willimantic, CT: Hall & Bill Printing, 2000.
Griggs, Susan. Early Homesteads of Pomfret and Hampton. Abington, CT: Higginson Book Company, 1950.
Bayles, Richard, ed. History of Windham County, Connecticut. New York, NY: W. W. Preston & Company, 1889. Link.
Larned, Ellen. History of Windham County, Connecticut. 1760-1880. Vol. 2. Worcester, MA: Ellen Larned, 1874. Link.