Categories: Education, Hartford

The American School for the Deaf – Today in History: April 15

Teacher and student, American School for the Deaf
Teacher and student, American School for the Deaf, Hartford, mid 20th century – Hartford History Center, Hartford Public Library and Connecticut History Illustrated

On April 15, 1817, the Connecticut Asylum for the Education and Instruction of Deaf and Dumb Persons opened with seven pupils in Hartford. The institution, later renamed The American School for the Deaf, was the first American school dedicated exclusively to the education of the deaf. The Connecticut General Assembly granted a charter for the school in 1816 through the persistent efforts of Dr. Mason Fitch Cogswell, who had a deaf daughter, and Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet.

Enjoyed reading this? Share it with friends »