Located in western New Haven County, Southbury is bisected by the Pomperaug River, which flows into the Housatonic River along the town’s southern border. Paugussetts and other native groups populated the area that, with European settlement, became the south purchase of Woodbury. Southbury incorporated in 1787 and, while primarily an agricultural community into the 1800s, it boasted taverns, shoe-making enterprises, and mills for producing paper and sawing lumber. The village of South Britain became a carpet and hat-making area. Still known for its rural charm, Southbury and South Britain earned fame when resident Wallace Nutting, an instrumental figure in the Colonial Revival movement, immortalized them in Connecticut Beautiful (1923).
Department of Energy & Environmental Protection. “Kettletown State Park,” 2016. Link.
Department of Energy & Environmental Protection. “Larkin State Park Trail,” 2012. Link.
“Southbury Historical Society,” 2016. Link.
Department of Energy & Environmental Protection. “Southford Falls State Park,” 2012. Link.
“Map - North Part of New Haven Co., Connecticut from Town and City Atlas of the State of Connecticut.” Boston, MA: D.H. Hurd & Company, 1893. University of Connecticut Libraries, Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link.
“Photograph: Interior of the Saw Mill at Southbury, Lewis Sprague Mills Collection,” ca. -1955 1895. Connecticut History Online, Connecticut State Library. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “Southbury - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2014. Link.
“Southbury Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
Cothren, William. History of Ancient Woodbury, Connecticut, from the First Indian Deed in 1659. Waterbury, CT: Bronson Brothers, 1854. Link.
Rockey, J. L., ed. History of New Haven County, Connecticut. Vol. 2. New York: W. W. Preston, 1892. Link.
Palmer-Skok, Virginia. Southbury. Portsmouth, NH: Arcadia, 2003.
Palmer-Skok, Virginia. Southbury Revisited. Charleson, SC: Arcadia, 2005.