The town of North Haven, located in the south central region of the state in New Haven County, lies on either side of the Quinnipiac River and is approximately 10 miles from the Long Island Sound. Incorporated in 1786, the town was originally part of New Haven. North Haven was mostly a farming community in the early- and mid-1800s, but the latter part of the century brought industry and new jobs to the town. By 1880, immigrants from Ireland, Germany, Italy, and Poland called North Haven home. Today, it is a mix of residential, commercial, and industrial areas.
More on North Haven from the CT Digital ArchiveBrowse more interactive content on the CT Digital Archive website.
North Haven: Fabricating Sculpture in the 1960s and 1970s
Lippincott, Inc., in North Haven, was one of the most highly respected fine-arts metal fabricators in the country in the second half of the 20th century. …[more]
“Greater New Haven Labor History Association,” 2017. Link.
“North Haven Historical Society,” 2016. Link.
Department of Energy & Environmental Protection. “Quinnipiac River State Park,” 2016. Link.
Stiles, Ezra. “Catalog Record of the Ezra Stiles Papers (ca. 1727-1795).” Yale University Library, 2017. Link.
Digital Archives of the North Haven Public Library. “Digitized Historic Newspapers - Various Titles & Dates,” 2017. Link.
Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library. “Digitized Images of Papers from the Ezra Stiles Collection,” 2016. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “North Haven - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2016. Link.
“North Haven Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
North Haven Historical Society, and Lucy Brusic. Amidst Cultivated and Pleasant Fields: A Bicentennial History of North Haven, Connecticut. Canaan, NH: North Haven Historical Society, 1986.
Rockey, J. History of New Haven County, Connecticut. Vol. 1. New York: W. W. Preston, 1892. Link.
Thorpe, Sheldon. North Haven Annals: A History of the Town from Its Settlement, 1680, to Its First Centennial, 1886. New Haven, CT: Price Lee & Adkins Company, 1892. Link.