Hamden, in New Haven County, is located in southern Connecticut. Originally settled by the Puritans as part of New Haven Colony, it was incorporated as its own town in May of 1786. Home to Eli Whitney’s armory, it played a crucial role in the Industrial Revolution in America. Marked by two large trap rock formations, Hamden is nicknamed, The Land of the Sleeping Giant, after the hills of Mount Carmel in the north. Home to Quinnipiac University, Hamden is Connecticut’s thirteenth-largest town, with an urban section to the south and a rural suburb in the north.
“Greater New Haven Labor History Association,” 2017. Link.
“Farmington Canal State Park Trail.” Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, 2012. Link.
“Hamden Historical Society.” Hamden Public Library, 2012. Link.
“Sleeping Giant State Park.” Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, 2016. Link.
“The Eli Whitney Museum and Workshop,” 2016. Link.
“The Hamden Historical Society Library and History Room.” Hamden Historical Society, 2015. Link.
“West Rock Ridge State Park.” Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, 2012. Link.
“Hamden - WPA Architectural Survey.” Connecticut State Library Digital Collections, 2014. Link.
“Map - Hamden, Conn. (Petersen Collection).” Petersen Collection. Hamden, CT, ca. 1850s. University of Connecticut Libraries - Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link.
Barber, John Warner. “Whitneyville, Hamden,” 1836. Connecticut Historical Society. Link.
Hamden Historical Society. Hamden. Portsmouth, NH: Arcadia, 2004.
Lehman, Eric. Hamden: Tales from the Sleeping Giant. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2010.
Rockey, J. History of New Haven County, Connecticut. Vol. 1. New York: W. W. Preston, 1892. Link.
Blake, William, ed. History of the Town of Hamden, Connecticut: With an Account of the Centennial Celebration, June 15th, 1886. New Haven, CT: Price Lee & Company, 1888. Link.
Hartley, Rachel. The History of Hamden, Connecticut, 1786-1936. Hamden, CT: Quinnipiack Press, 1943.