The town of New Hartford is located in eastern Litchfield County, in the northwest corner of the state. Settled in 1733 and incorporated in 1738, the town was part of the “Western Grant” given in 1686 to the proprietors of Hartford and Windsor. Early industry included farms and mills on the abundant waterways. The town is home to a portion of the Farmington River known as Satan’s Kingdom. In 1963 the Satan’s Ridge Ski Area opened and was later renamed Ski Sundown. The ski area is still in operation. New Hartford remains a quiet town, and the rural community consists of mostly homes and farms.
“Birds-Eye View of Chapin-Stevens Company, New Hartford.” Bird’s-eye. Hartford, CT: A. Pindar Corp., ca 1910. Connecticut History Online, Connecticut Historical Society. Link.
Henderson, James F. “Broadside: Ground Plaster.” J.F. Henderson, ca. 1840s. Connecticut History Online, Connecticut Historical Society. Link.
“New Hartford - WPA Architectural Survey.” Connecticut State Library Digital Collections, 2015. Link.
O.H. Bailey & Company. “New Hartford, Conn. 1878.” Bird’s-eye. Boston, MA: O.H. Bailey & Company, 1878. Connecticut History Online, Connecticut Historical Society. Link.
Lavoie, Margaret. New Hartford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2002.