The town of Monroe is located in the eastern region of Fairfield County in southern Connecticut. Originally part of Stratford, it was included in the “White Hills Purchase” that transferred the land from the Paugusset Indians to the township of Stratford. The General Assembly granted incorporation in 1823 and named it for then-president James Monroe. Agriculture made up much of Monroe’s early industry until the 19th century when the town became a transportation hub for travelers going to Danbury, Bridgeport, and New York. Today, Monroe is considered a bedroom community of New York City and Stamford and is made up of several neighborhoods including Monroe Center, East Village, and Upper Stepney.
“Monroe Historical Society,” 2012. Link.
“Monroe Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
Orcutt, Rev. Samuel. A History of the Old Town of Stratford and the City of Bridgeport, Connecticut. Vol. 1. New Haven, CT: Tuttle Morehouse & Taylor, 1886. Link.
Hurd, D. Hamilton, ed. History of Fairfield County, Connecticut with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers. Philadelphia, PA: J.W. Lewis & Company, 1881. Link.
Monroe Historical Society. Monroe. Dover, NH: Arcadia, 1998.