The town of Ledyard, located New London County, sits along the Thames River in the southeastern corner of the state. Incorporated in 1836, the town of Ledyard was named after Colonel William Ledyard, a Revolutionary War soldier killed at the Battle of Groton Heights. Predominately a farming community in the 19th century, Ledyard in the 20th century became a bedroom community, with many of its residents commuting to Groton and New London to work. In 1992, the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation opened the Foxwoods Resort Casino in the northeastern section of town. Tremendously successful, the complex is a popular Connecticut tourist destination.
More on Ledyard from the CT Digital ArchiveBrowse more interactive content on the CT Digital Archive website.
“Ledyard Historical Society,” 2012. Link.
“Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Research Center,” 2017. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “Ledyard - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2014. Link.
“Ledyard Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
“Ledyard Historical Society: Digital Collections,” 2015. Link.
Beers, F. W. “Map - Town of Ledyard.” New York, NY: F.W. Beers & Company, 1868. Connecticut History Online, G. W. Blunt White Library, Mystic Seaport. Link.
“Map: South Part of New London Co. Connecticut - Page 188 and 189 of Town and City Atlas of the State of Connecticut.” Boston, MA: D. H. Hurd & Co., 1893. University of Connecticut Libraries - Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link.
Marshall, Benjamin Tinkham, ed. A Modern History of New London County, Connecticut. Vol. 1. New York, NY: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1922. Link.
Ledyard Historic District Commission. Historic Ledyard. Edited by Janice Bell and Carolyn E. Smith. Ledyard, CT: Ledyard Historic District Commission, 1976.
Ledyard Historical Society. Historic Ledyard: Gales Ferry Revisited. Ledyard, CT: Ledyard Historical Society, 2000.
Avery, John. History of the Town of Ledyard, 1650-1900. Norwich, CT: Noyes & Davis, 1901. Link.
Ledyard Historical Society, and Kit Foster. Ledyard and Gales Ferry. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2004.
Bell, Janice Wightman. The Bluff: Gales Ferry Village. Ledyard, CT: Ledyard Historical Society, 1994.