The Pachaug and Quinebaug rivers flow through the town of Griswold, which is located at the northeastern edge of New London County. Long a fishing ground for the Mohegan people, the waterways attracted settlers who established ironworks, saw and corn mills, and other businesses. In the late 1700s, Eliezer Jewett opened several mills and an irrigation plant. His success led the area to be called Jewett City. Originally part of Preston, the town, named after Governor Roger Griswold, incorporated in 1815. In 1895, Jewett City incorporated as a borough of the town. Today, Griswold is home to Hopeville Pond State Park, former site of a woolen mill.
More on Griswold from the CT Digital ArchiveBrowse more interactive content on the CT Digital Archive website.
The Industrial Revolution Comes to Jewett City
The site of earlier mills, Jewett City seemed well-suited to the Tibbets’ textile enterprise: the Jewett City Cotton Manufacturing Company. …[more]
“The Last Green Valley,” 2017. Link.
Connecticut Freedom Trail. “Glasgo Village,” 2016. Link.
Department of Energy & Environmental Protection. “Hopeville Pond State Park,” 2012. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “Griswold - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2014. Link.
“Griswold Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
Burleigh, Lucien R. “Map - Jewett City, Conn.” Bird’s-eye. Troy, NY: Burleigh Lithograph, 1889. University of Connecticut Libraries, Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link.
Marshall, Benjamin Tinkham, ed. A Modern History of New London County, Connecticut. Vol. 1. New York, NY: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1922. Link.
Phillips, Daniel. Griswold - a History: Being a History of the Town of Griswold, Connecticut from the Earliest Times to the Entrance of Our Country into the World War in 1917. New Haven, CT: The Tuttle Morehouse & Taylor Company, 1929.