The town of Bethlehem, located in Litchfield County, is in the north central part of the state and contains Bethlehem Village, the town’s historic district. Settled in 1734 and incorporated in 1787, Bethlem, as it was then known, was home to Joseph Bellamy, founder of the first theological school in America. Mainly a farming community until the early 19th century, the town used its abundant water power to operate textile mills, a wagon factory, and a straw hat and bonnet factory. Today Bethlehem is known as Connecticut’s “Christmas Town” and is home to the Bellamy-Ferriday House and Garden.
More on Bethlehem from the CT Digital ArchiveBrowse more interactive content on the CT Digital Archive website.
CT Landmarks. “Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden,” 2016. Link.
“Old Bethlem Historical Society,” 2009. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “Bethlehem - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2013. Link.
“Bethlehem Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. “Finding Aid to the Caroline Ferriday Collection,” 2012. Link.
“Finding Aid to the Joseph Bellamy Papers,” 2016. Link.
“Map - South Part of Litchfield Co., Connecticut from Page 214 & 215 of Town and City Atlas of the State of Connecticut.” Real Property. Boston, MA: D.H. Hurd & Co., 1893. University of Connecticut Libraries, Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link.
Brown, Carol. Bethlehem. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2009.
Old Bethlem Historical Society. Bethlehem: A Primer of Local History from the Beginning to 1876, with Addendum. Bethlehem, CT: Old Bethlem Historical Society, 1976.
Cothren, William. History of Ancient Woodbury, Connecticut, from the First Indian Deed in 1659. Waterbury, CT: Bronson Brothers, 1854. Link.
J.W. Lewis & Company. History of Litchfield County, Connecticut, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of the Prominent Men and Pioneers. Philadelphia, PA: J.W. Lewis & Company, 1881. Link.
Bethlehem Public Library, and Carolyn Gonzales. Landscapes and Portraits. Bethlehem, CT: Friends of the Bethlehem Library, 2001.