Ashford, a part of Windham County, is located in the northeast, or Quiet Corner, of Connecticut. Formerly New Scituate, Ashford was settled in 1710 and incorporated as a town in October of 1714. The Old Connecticut Path, an early Native American thoroughfare, crossed what is now the Ashford Common. Later, the Boston and Hartford Turnpike provided a direct route through Ashford from Boston to Connecticut. Notable sites in this largely residential community include the June Norcross Webster Scout Reservation and the late-Paul Newman’s The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
More on Ashford from the CT Digital ArchiveBrowse more interactive content on the CT Digital Archive website.
“The Last Green Valley,” 2017. Link.
“Ashford Historical Society,” 2014. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “Ashford - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2014. Link.
“Ashford Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
Woodford, E. M. “Map of Windham County, Connecticut.” Philadelphia, PA: E.M. Woodford, 1856. University of Connecticut Libraries, Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC, Yale University Library, Map Collection. Link.
Lee, Stephen. “Windham County, Conn., Business Directory Containing the Names, Business and Location of All the Business Men in the County, Agricultural, Manufacturing, and Other Statistics, with a History of Each Town.” Windham County Transcript Office, 1861. Link.
Metsack, Barbara. Ashford, 1714-1989, Moments from History: A Chronology Reflecting the History of Ashford, Connecticut. Ashford, CT: Ashford 275th Anniversary Committee, 1990.
Bayles, Richard, ed. History of Windham County, Connecticut. New York, NY: W. W. Preston & Company, 1889. Link.
Larned, Ellen. History of Windham County, Connecticut. 1600-1760. Vol. 1. Worcester, MA: Ellen Larned, 1874. Link.
Larned, Ellen. History of Windham County, Connecticut. 1760-1880. Vol. 2. Worcester, MA: Ellen Larned, 1874. Link.
The Story of the Twenty-First Regiment, Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, During the Civil War. 1861-1865. Middletown, CT: Stewart Printing Co., 1900. Link.