The town of Andover is in the central region of the state and in the southern portion of Tolland County. Settled in the early 18th century, it was incorporated in 1848 from the towns of Hebron and Coventry. In 1926, investors envisioned a resort in a swampy area known as Cheney Hollow and formed the Andover Lake Corporation. A dam was constructed and the sluiceway opened in 1927, creating Andover Lake. By the 1940s, several hundred cottages surrounded the area. Today, Andover remains a small town, rural in nature, and is centered on the lake area.
More on Andover from the CT Digital ArchiveBrowse more interactive content on the CT Digital Archive website.
Andover’s Award-Winning Creamery
Started in 1886 by town residents, the Andover Creamery Corporation typified cooperative agricultural enterprises of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. …[more]
Archaeological and Historical Services, Inc. “Ephraim Sprague House Archaeological Site,” 2017. Link.
“Andover Historical Society,” 2016. Link.
Department of Energy & Environmental Protection. “Hop River State Park Trail,” 2017. Link.
“Museum of Andover History,” 2016. Link.
Department of Energy & Environmental Protection. “Nathan Hale State Forest,” 2016. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “Andover - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2017. Link.
“Andover Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
Tennant, H. F. “Photograph: Postcard - Birds Eye View (of Center), Andover,” ca. - 1920 1890. Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries. Link.
Yeomans, Scott. A Historic Look at Andover, Connecticut: A Look at Andover’s History Primarily Through Photographs Taken Prior to 1960. Andover, CT: Scott Yeomans, 2010.
Commemorative Biographical Record of Tolland and Windham Counties, Connecticut: Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens and of Many of the Early Settled Families. Chicago, IL: J.H. Beers & Co., 1903. Link.
Brass, Philip. The History of Andover, Connecticut. Andover, CT: Andover Historical Society, 1991.