The Onion Barn, Weston
An affluent residential town, Weston is home to a large portion of the Lucius Pond Ordway/Devil’s Den Preserve, Fairfield County’s largest tract of protected land. The area retains signs of human use dating back some 5,000 years. Originally part of Fairfield, Weston incorporated in 1787. Where Paugussetts and other groups once hunted, early European settlers pursued lumbering and charcoal production. Powered by the Aspetuck and Saugatuck Rivers, forges and foundries turned the villages of Lyon’s Plain and Valley Forge into commercial centers. By 1830, however, many left town for work in larger industrial centers and agriculture again flourished. Today, Weston is a bedroom community for New York and other employment hubs.
“Weston Historical Society,” 2017. Link
“Map - Town of Weston, Conn. (Petersen Collection).” Weston, CT, ca 1868. University of Connecticut Libraries - Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link
Hurd, D. Hamilton, ed. History of Fairfield County, Connecticut with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
. Philadelphia, PA: J.W. Lewis & Company, 1881. Link
Bradley, John, Historical Society of Easton, Lois Bloom, and Priscilla Chatfield. The Aspetuc Chronicles: Narratives of Former Days in Easton and Weston, Conn. Newington, CT: Connecticut River Press, 2003.
Failla, Kathleen. Weston. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
Scheffler, William. Westport and Weston Connecticut. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 1998.