Brick School, Warren – Jerry Dougherty
The town of Warren is located the foothills of the Berkshires in the western portion of Litchfield County and is close to the New York border. First settled in 1737 as a part of Kent, the town incorporated in 1786 and was named after Revolutionary War hero Joseph Warren. An early agricultural community, Warren, like its neighbors, took part in the thriving local iron industry. Warren is also known as an early center of education; by 1810 the town had five private schools and an academy, turning out notable Connecticut residents, many who went west in the early 19th century including theology professor Charles G. Finney, who became president of Oberlin College and served from 1851 to 1866.
“Warren Historical Society,” 2012. Link
“Map - South Part of Litchfield Co., Connecticut from Page 214 & 215 of Town and City Atlas of the State of Connecticut.” Real Property. Boston, MA: D.H. Hurd & Co., 1893. University of Connecticut Libraries, Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link
“Map - Town of Warren. (Petersen Collection).” Warren, CT, 1850. University of Connecticut Libraries - Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link
“Warren - WPA Architectural Survey.” Connecticut State Library Digital Collections, 2013. Link
J.W. Lewis & Company. History of Litchfield County, Connecticut, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of the Prominent Men and Pioneers
. Philadelphia, PA: J.W. Lewis & Company, 1881. Link