The northernmost town in Fairfield County, Sherman shares its western border with New York State. Incorporated in 1802, the town took its name from founding father Roger Sherman. Early industry included farming and light milling, and in the 1800s, Sherman was known as a producer of superior tobacco leaf. In the early 1900s developers built Candlewood Lake, a multi-town manmade body of water, which engulfed the southern portion of Sherman’s farm land. Today, many of the remaining farms are protected by the Naromi Land Trust; they and other area farms grow vegetables and raise livestock. Sherman is also home to Naromiyocknowhusunkatankshunk Brook, which means “water flowing from the hills.”
“Sherman Historical Society,” 2016. Link.
Sherman Historical Society. “The Northrop House Museum,” 2016. Link.
“Sherman Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
Sherman Historical Society, and Allie Giddings. A History of Sherman: Records and Recollections. Sherman, CT: Sherman Historical Society, 1978.
Murphy, Susan, and Gary Smolen. Candlewood Lake. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2005.
Hurd, D. Hamilton, ed. History of Fairfield County, Connecticut with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers. Philadelphia, PA: J.W. Lewis & Company, 1881. Link.