Stone-Otis House, Orange – Jerry Dougherty
The town of Orange, located in New Haven County, is in the state’s southern region near the Long Island Sound. Settled in the early 18th century and known as Bryan’s Farms, the town separated from Milford and incorporated in 1822. Named after King William III, the Prince of Orange, the town remained rural throughout the 19th century but quickly suburbanized when residential building began after World War II. During the Cold War the town served as a Nike Missile deployment area for the defense of Greater New Haven. Today, Orange is home to some small industry, including a PEZ candy manufacturing plant, but retains much of its rural, small-town feel.
Based in Orange, the 103rd Air Control Squadron of the Air National Guard is one of the oldest of its... Read more » …[more]
“Greater New Haven Labor History Association,” 2017. Link
“Tyler City Station,” 2016. Link
“Orange Historical Society,” 2016. Link
“Stone-Otis House.” Orange Historical Society, 2016. Link
“The Academy Museum.” Orange Historical Society, 2016. Link
“Orange - WPA Architectural Survey.” Connecticut State Library Digital Collections, 2016. Link
Rockey, J. L., ed. History of New Haven County, Connecticut
. Vol. 2. New York: W. W. Preston, 1892. Link
Woodruff, Mary, ed. History of Orange: North Milford, Connecticut, 1639-1949
. New Haven, CT: Payne & Lane, 2011. Link
Jones, Harry. Orange. Dover, NH: Arcadia, 1998.