Former Town Hall, Morris – Jerry Dougherty
The town of Morris is located in Litchfield County in the northwest portion of the state. Settled around 1723, it was organized as the South Farms parish in 1676, but it was not until 1859 that Morris incorporated and became a separate town from Litchfield. Named for Revolutionary War soldier James Morris, the town had opened its homes during the conflict to quarter patriots traveling from other New England towns to battles in New York. Initially a farming town, Morris retained its rural nature and is the home to Bantam Lake, the state’s largest natural lake.
Rare for his time, educator James Morris accepted both boys and girls as students. …[more]
“Camp Columbia State Park/Forest.” Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, 2012. Link
“Map - South Part of Litchfield Co., Connecticut from Page 214 & 215 of Town and City Atlas of the State of Connecticut.” Real Property. Boston, MA: D.H. Hurd & Co., 1893. University of Connecticut Libraries, Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link
“Morris - WPA Architectural Survey.” Connecticut State Library Digital Collections, 2015. Link
“Photograph: King’s Mill on the Morris Road.” Connecticut History Online, Connecticut Historical Society. Accessed March 31, 2014. Link
“Photograph: Mill School, Morris, Lewis Sprague Mills Collection,” 1935. Connecticut History Online, Connecticut State Library. Link
J.W. Lewis & Company. History of Litchfield County, Connecticut, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of the Prominent Men and Pioneers
. Philadelphia, PA: J.W. Lewis & Company, 1881. Link
Weik, Laura. One Hundred Years: History of Morris, Connecticut, 1859-1959. Morris, CT: Morris Centennial Committee, 1959.