Originally called West Farms, the town of Franklin in the New London County hills of east-central Connecticut separated from Norwich and incorporated in 1786. It took its new name in honor of Benjamin Franklin. Through the years, agriculture along with small industry and business has constituted the community’s economic base. Town notables include Uriah Tracy, the first member of Congress to be buried in the Congressional Cemetery in the nation’s capital, and Dr. Ashbel Woodward, a Union surgeon during the Civil War whose home is now a museum. Today, Franklin is part of The Last Green Valley, a 35-town National Heritage Corridor preserving rural culture and natural resources.
More on Franklin from the CT Digital ArchiveBrowse more interactive content on the CT Digital Archive website.
“The Last Green Valley,” 2017. Link.
FranklinCT.com. “Franklin Historical Society,” 2013. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “Franklin - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2016. Link.
“Franklin Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
Woodward, Ashbel. A Historical Address: Delivered in Franklin, Connecticut, October 14th, 1868, on the Two Hundredth Anniversary of the Settlement of the Town, and the One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of Its Ecclesiastical Organizations. New Haven, CT: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, Printers, 1870. Link.
Marshall, Benjamin Tinkham, ed. A Modern History of New London County, Connecticut. Vol. 1. New York, NY: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1922. Link.
Robbins, Marjorie. Franklin Bicentennial History, 1786-1986. Franklin, CT: Bicentennial Committee, 1986.
Connecticut Historical Commission, and Geoffrey Rossano. Historic and Architectural Resource Survey of the Town of Franklin, Connecticut. Hartford, CT: Connecticut Historical Commission, 2002.