Colebrook Dam, North Colebrook – Jerry Dougherty
The Litchfield County town of Colebrook borders on Massachusetts and contains within its bounds the Algonquin State Forest as well as the communities of Colebrook Center, North Colebrook, and Robertsville. The town incorporated in 1779 and, early on, its abundant timber supply provided the means to make charcoal, which in turn fueled furnaces that made iron from ore brought in from Salisbury mines. Additional industries included lumber, saw, and cider mills as well as tanneries. Today, the town’s principal industry is agriculture. Town notables include Ammi Phillips, an important itinerant portrait painter in the first half of the 19th century.
“The Colebrook Historical Society,” 2012. Link
“Colebrook - WPA Architectural Survey.” Connecticut State Library Digital Collections, 2013. Link
“Photgraph: Robertsville Chair Company, Ca. 1880, Robertsville (Colebrook).” Connecticut History Online, 2013. Link
Bliss, Henry. An Oration Delivered at Colebrook, on the Evening of the National Fast
, 1812. Link
DeLarm, Alan. Colebrook Stories. Colebrook, CT: Colebrook Connecticut Historical Society, 1979.
J.W. Lewis & Company. History of Litchfield County, Connecticut, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of the Prominent Men and Pioneers
. Philadelphia, PA: J.W. Lewis & Company, 1881. Link
Manchester, Irving. The History of Colebrook. Salem, MA: Higginson Book Company, 1997.