Colchester

Abandoned Mill, Colchester
Abandoned Mill, Colchester – George Perham

The town of Colchester, located in the western part of New London County, contains the villages of Westchester and North Westchester as well as the Golden Hill Paugussett Indian Nation reservation. Settled by the English in 1698 in an area known as Jeremiah’s Farms, Colchester received permission from the Colony’s General Assembly to organize as an ecclesiastical society in 1703. Early industry included iron works, textile mills, and brick kilns. In the 19th century the town was home to the Hayward Rubber Company, which shipped its products throughout the US. Today, Colchester is a thriving bedroom community and the first Connecticut town to be certified as a community Wildlife Habitat by the National Wildlife Federation.

FEATURED

Henry Champion Deming from Men of Progress edited by Richard Burton, 1898.

Henry Deming: Mayor of Hartford and New Orleans

Henry Deming served as mayor of Hartford and then as the provisional mayor of New Orleans during the Civil War before writing a biography of Ulysses S. Grant. …[more]

LEARN MORE

Places

“Benjamin Trumbull House.” Connecticut Freedom Trail, 2012. Link.
“Colchester Historical Society,” 2014. Link.
“Day Pond State Park.” Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, 2012. Link.
“Old District Schoolhouse for Colored Children Site.” Connecticut Freedom Trail, 2012. Link.
“Salmon River State Forest.” Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, 2012. Link.

Documents

“Colchester - WPA Architectural Survey.” Connecticut State Library Digital Collections, 2013. Link.

Books

Commemorative Book Committee. 300 Years of Colchester: A Commemorative Album, 1998.
Marshall, Benjamin Tinkham, ed. A Modern History of New London County, Connecticut. Vol. 1. New York, NY: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1922. Link.
The Story of the Twenty-First Regiment, Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, During the Civil War. 1861-1865. Middletown, CT: Stewart Printing Co., 1900. Link.
Connecticut State Historic Preservation Office, and Julie Horn. Viaducts, Bridges, and Ghost Trains: Air Line Railroad Archaeological District, Colchester and East Hamption, Connecticut. Westport, CT: Historical Perspectives, 2004.
Enjoyed reading this? Share it with friends »

Copyright © Connecticut Humanities. Except where otherwise noted, the content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 3.0 License.

Privacy Policy  /  Contact Us  /  Support Connecticut Humanities