Clinton, in Middlesex County, is located in southern Connecticut. The town lies on the Long Island Sound, at the mouth of the Hammonasset River. Established as a separate town in May of 1838, Clinton was originally part of Homonoscitt Plantation, or Hammonasset, and was broken off of Kenilworth, which is today’s Killingworth. Early commerce focused on the maritime industries. Clinton’s shipyards built schooners called brownstoners which transported Portland brownstone down the Connecticut River. Developed in the late nineteenth century, Pond’s Extract, a product distilled from native witch hazel, helped give rise to what became Chesebrough-Pond’s, Inc., the world’s largest producer of face creams.
More on Clinton from the CT Digital ArchiveBrowse more interactive content on the CT Digital Archive website.
Charles Morgan was a shipping and railroad magnate who earned... …[more]
“Clinton Historical Society,” 2012. Link.
Connecticut State Library Digital Collections. “Clinton - WPA Architectural Survey,” 2014. Link.
“Clinton Collection.” Connecticut Digital Archive, n.d. Link.
O.H. Bailey & Company. “View of Clinton, Connecticut 1881.” Bird’s-eye. Boston, MA: Bailey & Company, 1881. University of Connecticut Libraries, Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link.
Field, David. A Statistical Account of the County of Middlesex, in Connecticut. Middletown, CT: Clark & Lyman, 1819. Link.
McCain, Diana. Connecticut Coast: A Town-by-Town Illustrated History. Guilford, CT: Globe Pequot Press, 2009.
Beers, F. W. County Atlas of Middlesex, Connecticut: From Actual Surveys. New York, NY: F.W. Beers & Company, 1874. Link.
Beers, J.B., & Company, and Henry Whittemore. History of Middlesex County, Connecticut, with Biographical Sketches of Its Prominent Men. New York, NY: J.B. Beers & Company, 1884. Link.
Deep River Savings Bank, and Thomas Stevens. Old Sailing Days in Clinton: With a Record of Vessels Built on Indian River in the Days When Clinton Was “Killingworth”: A Maritime History. Deep River, CT: Deep River Savings Bank, 1972.