Hebron

Gay City State Park, Hebron
Gay City State Park, Hebron - Russ Glasson

The east-central Connecticut town of Hebron lies at Tolland County’s southern tip. Incorporated in 1708, Hebron had a strong agricultural base and up through the late 1800s boasted manufacturers of charcoal (once a fuel source for other industries), bricks, textiles, paper, and other goods. Town history also reveals Connecticut’s connections to slavery, abolitionism, and post-emancipation agitation for freed people’s rights.  For example, 19th-century Hebron suffragist Josephine Griffing advocated nationally for the education and support of newly freed African Americans.  Ruins of Hebron’s industrial past can be found in Gay City State Park, which takes its name from the abandoned mill town that once stood within its boundaries.

LEARN MORE

Places

“Cesar and Lois Peters Archaelogical Site.” Connecticut Freedom Trail, 2012. Link.
“Gay City State Park.” Department of Economic & Community Development, 2012. Link.
“Hebron Historical Society,” 2012. Link.

Documents

“Hebron - WPA Architectural Survey.” Connecticut State Library Digital Collections, 2014. Link.
“Map - Town of Hebron. (Petersen Collection).” Hebron, CT, 1850. University of Connecticut Libraries - Map and Geographic Information Center - MAGIC. Link.

Books

Hebron Historical Society. Hebron. Charleston,  SC: Arcadia, 2004.
Sibun, John. Our Town’s Heritage, 1708-1958, Hebron, Connecticut. Hebron,  CT: Douglas Library of Hebron, 1975.
Enjoyed reading this? Share it with friends »

Copyright © Connecticut Humanities. Except where otherwise noted, the content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 3.0 License.

Privacy Policy  /  Contact Us  /  Support Connecticut Humanities