The town of Greenwich, located in Fairfield County, is at the southernmost and westernmost tip of Connecticut—between Stamford and New York City. In 1640, founding families purchased the land in the area now known as Old Greenwich from Native Americans for twenty-five coats. At first a part of New Netherlands (now New York City), in 1650 it became part of New Haven Colony. Greenwich became a separate township in 1655. Today Greenwich is an affluent suburb with many distinct neighborhoods, including Round Hill, which, at 550 feet above Long Island Sound, was a lookout point for the Continental army during the American Revolution.
“Great Captain Island Light.” NPS Inventory of Historic Light Stations, 2002. Link.
“Library and Archives.” The Greenwich Historical Society, 2012. Link.